ORGANIZATION & DESCRIPTION
Crimson Coast Dance Society is a not for profit, charitable organization whose mission is to
provide a forum for the presentation, creation, production and animation of professional
contemporary dance in the city of Nanaimo, British Columbia.
Crimson Coast Dance Society is a mature organization celebrating 20 years of innovative dance creation and presentation in Nanaimo. We strive for new ways to engage diverse communities and cultural backgrounds. We are seeking a dynamic mid-level General Manager to lead us into our next phase, building on our society’s mission of cultivating artists and audiences to facilitate the next level of dance growth in the community. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity.
You are a passionate, not-for-profit arts leader and desire to develop an engaged dance audience. You work well in a fast paced environment, are passionate for contemporary and cultural dance genre, and you build meaningful relationships with local, national, and international dance companies and performing artists. Knowledge of the Canadian dance milieu is desirable. You are inspirational in encouraging others to “Join the Movement”.
Working in partnership with the Board of Directors and the Artistic Director/Curator (AD), the
chief responsibilities of the General Manager are: to implement the artistic vision of the society, to ensure the financial integrity and sustainability of the organization, and to foster a culture of openness and collaboration.
We are interested in your creative approach toward the development of infrastructure systems required by our organization at this point in its growth. Salary range is $30-45,000 depending on experience, scope of responsibilities and hours.
- Prepare and submit grants and reports.
- Identify and pursue funding opportunities available to the organization to achieve annual financial goals, including private foundations, donor campaigns, corporate sponsorship through a development program.
- Work with the Board of Directors and AD to support special fundraising events.
- Ensure proper stewardship of current donors and sponsors.
- Work with AD to create community engagement opportunities that build and develop audience and awareness of the organization and its activities.
- Manage and participate in the ongoing operational needs and the legal and financial obligations of the society - report filing, insurance (board, office, and programming), non-profit procedures and office operations (rental agreements, invoices).
- Establish a positive, healthy, safe work environment which encourages diversity and people engagement.
- Ability to also provide support as needed in any of these areas will be an asset:
- Oversee the technical and production elements of performances, workshops and residencies, including artist contracts & travel arrangements, venue rental agreements, contracting technical support staff etc.
- Work with AD to create a timely marketing strategy and delineate duties specific to the overall season and to each event (identify target audience & sponsors, ad placement)
- Coordinate and work with graphic designer and website designer
- An understanding of the curation process
- Coordinate marketing events and work with publicist to gather publicity from artists and disseminate in a timely manner
- Writing and managing press releases, social media, advertising.
- At least five years in performing arts management or presentation
- Strong budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Ability to manage staff and volunteers
- Experience in grant writing and fundraising
- Ability to develop and implement strategic plan
- Ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with board, staff and individuals or teams within the organization and community
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of BC Society’s Act and Charity Law would be an asset
- Valid Driver’s license and a vehicle
- Please send CV and cover letter to email@example.com by September 25, 2017
- Remuneration: Hours and salary will be negotiated based on experience, skill set and breadth of work.